Saturday, March 30, 2013

OOPS!!!!!!

Well, I apologize for having missed blogging last week. Last week was a rough one for me, so I apologize for having not posted last week. This entry today will make up for last week and also include this week's post.

Anyways, last week we discussed the importance of fathers, and the role they play in children's lives while this week we talked about parents and the roles that both parents play in a child's life. Personally, I am very close to my dad. For as long as I can remember, I have always had a close relationship with my dad, always been a "daddy's girl." He was always the one I could relate to whenever I got into an argument with my mom. I definitely would not be the same person I am today if I didn't have my dad in my life.

It was rather interesting.  I read an article recently of the importance of fatherhood and the effects a father can have on one's childhood. It talked of studies that had been done with children whose father was actively involved in their lives and whom they had a good relationship with. These children, the studies showed, tended to be doing better in school. They were able to handle problems, stress, and pressure more effectively. Other ways fathers had somewhat of an influence over their children showed in the relationship they had with their wives. When boys would see their father interact with their mother, and saw that they had a good relationship with each other and saw their father respect their mother, it taught them how they should treat women as well. Not just those girls in their family, but girls in general. Going the other way, when girls would see their father treat their mother with respect, it teaches them how they should expect to be treated by the opposite sex. I found it interesting when I read this article because this is how it was and is in my own family. My brother, sister, and I were raised and taught to always strive and maintain a good relationship not only with one another but with our parents as well. Even my parents have always had a good relationship with one another. There marriage may not be perfect, and there may be a road bump every now and then but they have always shown each other respect and been able to work through it because they have a good relationship. This taught us how to treat each other as well. Seeing my dad treat my mom with respect taught my brother how he is to treat his wife. It has taught my sister and I what we should expect as far as the way we should be treated by any guy that comes into our lives.

Both of my parents have always had an active role in my life. They have always tried to make sure they knew how I was doing and if there was anything I needed, they always tried to support me and help me. Parents definitely have an effect on children and most definitely have a hand in the way their child grows up and turns out. Although it helps to see a study, I can say that this is true because of my own experiences and how I was raised in my own life.


No comments:

Post a Comment